Re: a question :-)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2005 16:41:01 -0800

sshumilov_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I have a question...
> I know that for Informix HPUX gives some parameters and limitations
like...
> from Informix release notes...
> SHMMAX: 805306367
> SHMMIN: 1 (not tunable)
> SHMALL: Not applicable
> SHMMNI: 256
> SHMSEG: 100
> SHMBRK: Not applicable
> MAXMEM: Not applicable
> SEMMNI: 4096
> SEMMNS: 4096
> SEMMSL: Not applicable
> NFILES: 8192
>
> Is there anything like that for Oracle? or it is limitless?
>
> thank you in advance

Actually, in some contrast to what the other posters have said, there is some specific misinformation in the the docs on this point, which do state you need to check metalink for updates. For example, if you are on Oracle 9.2, there is a document number 169706.1 on metalink that has the proper settings for kernel parameters (like NCALLOUT), as well as corrected OS patches (there is a script that is supposed to verify system configuration for the O installation, but it is _hard coded_ with obsolete patch numbers).

If you don't set the kernel parameters correctly, you get mysterious linking errors and such. But if you put the latest OS patch set in, that seems to be ok as far as patches.

So this might be considered how Oracle ensures support contracts are in place - you can download the software and patches and docs for free, but you have to pay to get metalink and support. And you _should_ read the docs (quick start and unix installation, in this case) before you expect support to help you.

BTW, always post sufficient information to allow people to answer your questions: http://members.cox.net/oracleunix/readme-cdos.htm

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  "PeopleSoft had an easygoing, relaxed atmosphere.
Oracle has an edgy, aggressive atmosphere that's not conducive to