Re: Error during full import - maximum enabled rles exceeded

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:15:48 +0800

premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> hpuxrac wrote:
> > snip
> > message,
> some

> > Sorry prem but you are making me a little nervous about what you are
> > doing and why. Most of the people doing a full import from one
> > database to another database can handle something like exceeding the
> > number of roles.
> >
> > Do you really need to do a full import? Are you really interested
> > instead of importing some of the data from the other database instead
> > of all of it? Usually full imports are only involved in database
> > migrations. Do you want to do a schema level export import aka
> > fromuser touser? Check out documentation for export and import it is
> > in the utilities manuals.
> >
> > To answer your question above, no, import is not recreating roles
> that
> > exist it is attempting to add roles from the other database.
> >
> > Check all the roles that exist in the other database. Check out all
> > the roles that exist in the database you are attempting to import
> into.
> > Count how many are in each. Find out the total that you need to
> > support in the database you are importing into. Set the parameter to
> > support that configuration.
>
> Thanks,
>
> I have done full import many times in the past and I want to do full
> import. I looked at my production database where export was done,
> it has 36 roles and max_enabled_roles = 30 by default. I have been
> using production database for a while, creating new users and giving
> them roles (I have not created any new role since system went into
> production).
>
> After import in my test environment, I also see same no of roles and
> same value for max_enabled_roles.
>
> Just now, I created another role in database and assigned to a user. I
> then connected as user. No where, I saw any errors, so I have no idea
> where this parameter comes into picture except during import.
>
> Prem

If memory serves, when you create a role the creator gets it granted automatically to themselves. So if you create more roles than max_roles_enabled during an import, you might run into this.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"