Re: One control file/redo member with ASM ok?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:13:15 +0800

DA Morgan wrote:

> Thomas Kyte wrote:

> >>Oracle requires 2 control files. It won't start without 2 control
> >>files.
> >>Mirroring only protects you against hardware failure.
> >>It doesn't protect you against someone inadvertently deleting a
> >>controlfile.
> >>Also the controlfile is usually only a few Mb's big. It would be very
> >>strange to try to save a few Mb's and instead increase the risk
> >>someone blows up your database.
> >>

> >>--
> >>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >

> > Really?
> >
> > SQL> startup pfile=initora9ir2.ora
> > ORACLE instance started.
> >
> > Total System Global Area 269554828 bytes
> > Fixed Size 451724 bytes
> > Variable Size 201326592 bytes
> > Database Buffers 67108864 bytes
> > Redo Buffers 667648 bytes
> > Database mounted.
> > Database opened.
> > SQL> show parameter control
> >
> > NAME TYPE VALUE
> > ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
> > control_file_record_keep_time integer 7
> > control_files string /home/ora9ir2/oradata/ora9ir2/
> > control01.ctl
> > SQL>
> >

> > (they have the control files mirrored via ASM mirroring)
>
> I have mixed feelings on this one.
>
> While technically you are correct ... advising someone that they can do
> this invites a very dangerous behaviour. Companies may suffer greviously
> because someone reads this as Tom Kyte saying it is ok. And even I would
> gleefully do what you recommend or what I assume you have sanctioned.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

"can" != "should"

:-)

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"