Re: Oracle DB cannot restart due to missing REDO-file

From: T. Lehrmann <Thomas.Lehrmann_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:23:29 +0100

Hi David,

thanks for your advice, I already tried out to copy the file REDO01 and rename it to REDO02, but Oracle discovers the different header. Then I took a hex editor and manipulated the header for the pseudo-REDO02 (exchanged "thread 0001"in header versus "thread 0002") but Oracle now was complaining about a wrong file size...I think these manipulations are in vain, mostly because REDO02 may had totally different content than REDO01. But why the hell does Oracle need this stuff also for starting the DB if I won't use it (at least for the moment) because I'm not planning to recover my database (the DB data files *.dbf still exist).

Isn't there a way to tell Oracle that it shoudn't give a damn about these files (e.g. by adjusting it in the init.ora) or, if this won't work, by telling Oracle to recreate REDO02 from REDO01 perhaps? (Somehow Oracle itself was apparently also able to rebuild the deleted REDO01 file.. ?!)

ANY HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED (unfortunately I need the DB, the content was important 4 me).

Thanks in advance,
Thomas