Re: Autoextend

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:11:59 +0100

Antoine BRUNEL wrote:
> .... a DBA is supposed to know why ....
>
> an example: something goes wrong with the nightly batch, and you allow
> dbfiles to grows without limits.... the filesystem become full, with a
> little chance, archive destination too, and instance freeze....
>

> "Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> a écrit dans le message de
> news: csbsvu$p2m$1_at_news5.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
>

>>Antoine BRUNEL wrote:
>>[snip!]
>>

>>>anyway, it is strongly recommended that you control dbfiles sizes by
>>>yourself, and not let them increase automatically.....
>>>

>>and why would that be? Lazy-DBA syndrome?
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>Frank van Bortel

Pls, don't top post.

I'm not a DBA, I have never claimed to be.

And you stated you would advise against the use of autoextending files, no word about limiting the growth.
If used, use with:
a) reasonable sized chuncks, and:
b) a maximum file size (maxsize option)

I see no harm in that, but I understand you would rather have your nightly batches fail? :-^

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel