Re: Autoextend

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 02:22:48 -0500

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:57:04 -0800, jcpj_mx wrote:

> I have a question regarding autoextend, how can affect my database if
> the size of autoextend is 100K, I think is to small, the max size is
> 2 gb and is an OLTP database

As any old school dba can tell you, the costliest thing possible in the world of databases (and that also applies to things like IMS and DL/1) is dynamic space management. You don't want that to happen in an OLTP database - ever. Autoextend is a viable option for DW type databases which have huge amounts incoming data which are never archived. With OLTP databases, performance and availability are the most important things. Queries to calculate free space are extremely simple and can be found in any database administration book. DBA has to earn her or his salary.
Other then that, measuring extents in kilobytes in the age of disks with capacity in hundreds of gigabytes (Hitachi announced availability of 500GB disk drives for summer 2005) is ridiculous, like trying to measure Texas using inches. Two disks will contain 1TB and you are thinking in kilobytes? Disk space is cheap, dirt cheap. If your PC has only 2 360k floppies and a Hercules card, it might be the right time to upgrade your hardware, at least to 80386SX.

--
Bug, noun: Son of a glitch