Re: Is Oracle SQL99 Compliant?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:29:32 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:

> GreyBeard wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:51:28 -0800, seapearl1023 wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My question is if Oracle Standard version is SQL99 Compliant? How about
>>> Oracle Enterprise version?
>>>

>> Depends entirely on what you mean by 'compliant'.  The standard actually
>> includes several levels of compliance.
>>
>> In general, it's pretty close.  If you look at the SQL Reference manual
>> for the version you want, there's an entire section allocated to this.
>> (This is Appendix B in Oracle9iR2 manuals st http://tahiti.oracle.com!)
>>
>> BTW: Standard and Enterprise are 'Editions' (effectively feature sets),
>> not versions. Version is something like '8.1', '9.0', '9.2', '10.1'.
>> Enterprise is a 100% superset of Standard and uses exacctly the same code
>> base - AFAIK, the SQL is identical.
>>
>> Speculation:  this kind of question is usually asked by people who
>> want to
>> write 'database independant' software.  If that is true, please consider
>> reading the first 3 chapters of Thomas Kyte's "Effective Oracle By
>> Design"
>> to understand why that is a bad idea.
>>
>> lol/FGB

> Non adherence to standards drives cost in teh long run up.
> It promotes vendor lock-in which you will regret when it comes to
> renegotiations.
> There is good reasons why client interfaces and app-servers have these
> horrible abstraction layers. They are needed to do what DBMS don't
> manage: standardize.
> Whenever a standard is not adhered to consumers suffer in the end.
>
> I think the realistic middle way is to stick to the SQL Standard
> wherever possible and encapsulate proprietary extensions so they can be
> dealt with. Your CFO will thank you.
>
> There are literally thousands of locked in, unhappy customers out there
> paying through their nose for their DBMS, not being able to move because
> it would cost millions of dollars in labour - and the vendor knows it.
>
> Cheers
> Serge

So why is it that they are not running away from product A for product B?

Truth is they really aren't that unhappy. Developers may whine and moan but they'd be whining and moaning more if it happened and they lost their jobs which would be the logical result.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington