Re: ORA-03113

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:38:29 GMT

On 14 Jan 2005 10:20:13 -0800, aseoane_at_avellaneda-ba.gov.ar wrote:

>Hi Everybody!
>
>I think I've got a corrupted logfile in my DB, I've added 3 new groups
>of 1024K size each because I want to drop the old (corrupted I think)
>logfiles so, once the new groups were created and the ALTER DATABASE
>OPEN was performed, I've tried to ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE to make
>the group inactive and then drop it, but... my dear friend the
>ORA-03113 showed up! and now my DB doesn't start and I have to
>uncompress my last backup (again) and play "Solitaire" for at least 80
>minutes...
>
>You may be wandering how do I know that I have got a corrupted logfile
>in my DB... mmmm... Well, I'm not sure... but, when I perform INSERT's,
>DELETE's and UPDATE's and the DB needs to switch the logfile... guess
>what??? YES!! ORA-03113!!
>
>Uuuupsss... almost forget it!!!! I'M WORKING IN ARCHIVELOG MODE!!!!!!!
>
>Any ideas???? Hope you have... Regards and please excuse my English,
>I'm from Argentina.

Ideas ? Yeah :

  1. Provide version and platform. ¨
  2. *Check the alert log* for error messages in connection with the failed database startups and log switches. Post them here.
  3. Always check the alert log as first step in ANY Oracle db troubleshooting. ALWAYS. Period.
  4. Get more DBA skills. Your trial-and-error and unstructured way of "dealing" with the problem indicates that you seem to lack knowledge of basic Oracle troubleshooting. Adding more log files is not the way to resolve log corruption.
    • Kenneth Koenraadt