Re: Is Oracle SQL99 Compliant?

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:38:15 GMT

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:32:56 -0800, Serge Rielau wrote:

> Non adherence to standards drives cost in teh long run up.
> It promotes vendor lock-in which you will regret when it comes to
> renegotiations.
> There is good reasons why client interfaces and app-servers have these
> horrible abstraction layers. They are needed to do what DBMS don't
> manage: standardize.
> Whenever a standard is not adhered to consumers suffer in the end.

Possibly.

I've also seen where non-adherance saves so much money that after 3 years it becomes financialy feasible to throw out the original application and retrain all development staff. However, if it does save that much money AND it can be proven, the customer is usually happy enough to continue on using the vendor's product.

The key is proving it & sadly most North American organizations don't separate capital expenditure from operating expenditure, so they quickly forget the benefits.

Funny how adherence to standard becomes important when discussed by the company promoting, or heavily influencing, the standard. (Oh, sorry ... that's just a mis-perception <g>)

lol/FGB Received on Fri Jan 14 2005 - 09:38:15 CST