Re: Optimization

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2005 07:02:08 -0800

Peter Mubaiter wrote:
> Ask DBA schrieb:
> > I have a hight value for SQL*Net message to client and
> > SQL*Net message from client
> > how to decrease these values
>
> Optimize your application, tell the users to type faster, install
> gigabit network.
>
> OK, that wasn't funny.

I'm not so sure, surely every DBA knows that its 'a slow network' that is at fault, just as every developer knows that the db is bad :)

> A wait event "SQL*Net message from client" means
> that the sessions awaits requests from the client. The server process
is
> idle waiting on client requests. That is nothing to worry about and
> quite normal as there is no constant data exchange from the client to

> the server.
> "SQL*Net message from client" means that the server process is
sending
> data to the client. Also nothing to worry about.

I disagree. It *might* be nothing to worry about, but it *might* - and more probably does - mean one of two things

  1. Your network really *is* slow, look at the average and peak elapsed times for the event to help diagnose this.
  2. Your app is having way too many conversations over the network. For example to display a line item screen with 7 items many many apps will make 7 network trips one for each item, rather than retireving all at once. (Often they will update them one by one commiting after each item as well).

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com Received on Fri Jan 14 2005 - 09:02:08 CST