Re: Is Oracle SQL99 Compliant?

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:23:03 -0800

nitin2276_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Ya, Oracle is following SQL99 standards. So it is SQL99 compliant.

>>From the release of Oracle 9i onwards, Oracle has also started

> following ANSI standards.
>
> Regards
>
> Nitin
>
> seapearl1023_at_ms65.url.com.tw wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>My question is if Oracle Standard version is SQL99 Compliant? How

> about
>
>>Oracle Enterprise version?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Hai-Chu

I beg to differ. What about NULL = '', Trigger/RI semantics? While Oracle does implement many SQL-99 features it has a) numerous extensions that are unlikely to ever make it into the standard because they don't adhere to the foundation of SQL b) mumerous idiosynchrecies which break portability (like NULL = '').

.. at least SQL Server adds ANSI compatibility knobs. Oracle doesn't even care that much.

Cheers
Serge Received on Fri Jan 14 2005 - 08:23:03 CST