Re: Extract data from index

From: Peter Mubaiter <this.is.not.valid_at_spammer.hola>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:17:56 +0100

> All in all this situation sounds too ludicrous to be true. So I would,
> if I were you, reveal the true nature and goal of this exercise.

To explain what happened:

A colleague issued a

alter tablespace USERS add datafile '/oradata/users02.dbf' size 2000M reuse;

Unfortunately the file was already in use. He made two mistakes, he used "reuse" and he made not sure to use the next number in naming the new datafile.
Of course there was now backup which could have been used. What we did then was recover the data from all indexed columns of the affected tables by selecting data using the index like

select /*+ index (c INDEX_NAME)*/ indexed_column

   from affected_table where indexed_column is not null;

We could restore many columns from most tables. One index has a corrupted block, that is why I asked this question.

Thanks anyway,

Peter Received on Fri Jan 14 2005 - 08:17:56 CST