Re: Oracle Server will write continually to control files.

From: Orlando Amador <oamador_REMOVE_ME_at_obipr.jnj.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:42:39 -0400

> there are none, it works the way it works. seems this would be an issue
of the
> backup software here, that is cannot backup any files on a disk where any
> activity is taking place?

You are correct, we tried to adjust the parameters of the backup software to the minimun. Sill the accumulated IO
from all database instance to their control files will not allow for even 1 second of quiet time. BE OFO requires at least 1 second to create a snapshot.
So I'm thinking maybe I can adjust Oracle to do this updates less often. If that fails, we'll just have to repartition and separate this more.

> Exclude the database stuff and veritas with the "open file option" should
be
> happy as a clam.

Again, this is for the backup of non oracle related files. Unfortenatly, BE OFO will take into account all IO to the complete drive, not just to the selected files.
If we take the files to a different drive, then we resolve this, but that requires re-partition and we are trying to prevent that, if possible.

Thanks for the feedback.

"Thomas Kyte" <tkyte_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:115552381.00006992.037_at_drn.newsguy.com...
> In article <cs3kt30mg8_at_news3.newsguy.com>, Orlando Amador says...
> >

> >"Thomas Kyte" <tkyte_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
> >> In article <cs3h0f0ja3_at_news3.newsguy.com>, Orlando Amador says...

> >problem,
> >>

> >> how is this creating a program for backup software?
> >>

> >Veritas BackupExec Open File Option requires a minimun quite time.
Because
> >if the constant writes it is not able to acchive the minimun quite
window.

> >> file system backups of controlfiles for open database are "not
useful" --
> >they
> >> shouldn't be touching them while the database is up.
> >>

> >The have agents for performing hot backup of the data, redo, and control
> >files. That is not the issue here. There are other non-Data files on
the
> >same drive we are trying to backup.
> >

> >> You aren't "backing up" your databases with this stuff are you? (if
so --
> >it is
> >> probable that you have nothing valid to restore with)...
> >>

> >You are correct, we are not.
> >

> >Any ideas on how to reduce the frequency of this writes?
> >

> there are none, it works the way it works. seems this would be an issue
of the
> backup software here, that is cannot backup any files on a disk where any
> activity is taking place?
>

> You should be excluding all DATABASE related files from this sort of
backup for
> the following reasons:
>
> a) they are useless, you cannot use them for anything
>
> b) you can actually cause the databases to shutdown. I had someone say
"my
> database goes down every morning at 3am -- why?" -- turns out every
morning at
> 3am, their backup software would come along and lock the controlfile to
"back it
> up" (well, really just copy a bunch of useless bytes to a backup device).
This
> prevents us from writing to our controlfiles -- bamm, down database
>
> c) it isn't working for you (perhaps most important of all).
>
> Exclude the database stuff and veritas with the "open file option" should
be
> happy as a clam.

> >in
> >way