Re: Extract data from index

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:52:36 -0800

Peter Mubaiter wrote:

> Suppose the following situation:
>
> You have got an 8.0.5 database with an index which has a corrupted
> block. The table on which the index was created does not exist anymore,
> due to a storage hardware failure. Only the index tablespace is left.
> What you want to do now, is
>
> select /*+ index (c INDEX_NAME)*/ indexed_column
> from affected_table where indexed_column is not null;
>
> to get all the data from the index (to save as much data as possible).
> Unfortunately there is a corrupted block in this index. The question is
> now: Can you navigate around the corrupted block? Possibly with dirty
> tricks like changes in the data dictionary?
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
>
> Peter

Let me see if I've got this correct. You dropped the table and you think you are going to query its index? In a version of Oracle so old it is referred to with names generally reserved for matters of archaeology?

Not going to happen. And I would hope that anyone that helps you with "dirty tricks" gets what they would so richly deserve.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington