Re: Oracle 10g dedicated server how to change to shared mode

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:30:22 +0100

Ed Stevens wrote:
> On 12 Jan 2005 19:12:39 -0800, evoradba_at_yahoo.ca (Maria) wrote:
>

>>Hello
>>
>>I have installed Oracle 10g on solaris back in August then to test we
>>decided to change to dedicaded mode.  Now we can't connect from any
>>other server, keep getting this error message
>>SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on
>>ERROR:
>>ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
>>
>>The thing when I do a tnsping to this instance from any other server
>>its fine?

> I presume that was not meant as a question. ;-)
>
> You need to understand that TNSPING only proves that you have basic
> network connectivity and that the listener recognizes the service you
> are TNSPINGing. You can put a reference to MYSID in the listener.ora
> file and succesfully TNSPING MYSID, without even having created a
> database MYSID. It's like calling the post office and asking if they
> would try to deliver a letter to 123 Elm St. If they say 'yes' it
> proves you can contact the post office and they think they know where
> 123 Elm St. is. It doesn't prove that there actually is such a
> location.

Ed,

this really nice explanation is unfortunately slightly wrong. When you tnsping, the listener doesn't really care if there is such a service. (I tested just with 9.2 on windows)

To keep the analogy: It's like calling the post office and asking if they would try to deliver a letter to 123 Elm St. If they say 'yes' it proves that there was a post office ( or someone who likes a good laugh just as everybody else ;-) ). And if you send them something, and if they still are there, they will start looking if they can actually deliver what you sent.

Cheers,

Holger Received on Thu Jan 13 2005 - 10:30:22 CST