Re: How to get the length of LONG RAW column

From: mark tomlinson <marktoml_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:11:44 -0500

wagen123_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Oracle9i 9.2.0.6
>
> How can I get the length of a LONG RAW column from sqlplus/plsql? It
> looks like the following works for RAW datatype ONLY.

True. Unless you stored the length of the LONG data when you inserted it, the only way to get it back is to read it to the end and see how much was returned. This is an advantage of LOB data types (you can use DBMS_LOB to get the length--DBMS_LOB.GETLENGTH).

Mark Received on Thu Jan 13 2005 - 10:11:44 CST