Re: O/S upgrade. Do I have to relink ?

From: Sean Chang <sean_at_cnfei.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:43:27 -0500

I don't know about iAS, but for RDBMS, relink is not required. I have experienced no problem when I upgraded my Solaris from 2.6 to 8 then to 9. if you have hardware changes(must be still SPARC), ie.
you go from 32 bit solaris to 64bit, you'll have 2 options: don't do anything with Oracle database server, which is still working fine; Installing a newer 64-bit version,like Oracle 9i R2 only supports 64-bit Solaris.

Solaris has extremely good binary-backwards compatibility, if the software don't use unsupport library, solaris 9 is guranteed to backward compatible with Solaris 2.6( read Sun Binary Compatiblity statements). Chances are extremely high Oracle Version 7 and up is binary-compatible with Solaris 9.

Can't say anything about iAS in Solaris.

sean chang