Re: Running oracle db on netapp NAS

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:43:05 -0800

Armani wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> Time to revive this discussion again =)
> It's time for us to overhaul our DAS environment. We're looking at NAS
> and SAN solutions.
> Has anyone implemented Oracle on Netapp NAS in a moderately intensive
> oltp environment? I get queasy thinking of running a DB over NFS but
> there's a lot of literature touting how several big boys have
> successfully switched to NAS. I haven't located any case studies yet.
> If anyone has nas-oracle war stories they'd like to share I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> Thanks.

I have. Boeing has. Oracle has. Lots of people have. If your understanding of NAS is more than two years old ... throw it away. What you are thinking about is not what NetApp is selling.

If you don't need that little extra margin of performance that SAN provides (at a very big margin in price) NAS will be a stable and reliable architecture.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington