Re: limit alertSID.log file size

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 11 Jan 2005 14:17:45 -0800

Vitalis Pedrotti via OracleMonster.com wrote:
> Are you sure it is a safe method to rotate the alertSID.log file?
>
> Since the instance is not shut down after the "mv", its processes
still hold the old file open. When they need to write an alert, it is written to the new alertSID.log but they hold both files open. Test done on Aix and Linux.
> It's not a big deal but there must be better ways to do it. Joel
suggested rotatelogs but apparently it's meant to be used with piped logs and oracle does not provide this functionality for alertSID.log afaik.

> A clean solution may be to used a named pipe alertSID.log at the os
level and have a script manage its I/O (I haven't tried that.)

> Vitalis
>
> --

I have run into no problems using the script I posted. I also have my rc script set to rename the alert log on a reboot.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Jan 11 2005 - 16:17:45 CST