Re: Database instances fail to OPEN automatically on system start

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:17:17 -0800

Matthew wrote:

> We have a Windows 2000 server running Oracle 8.1.7 on which there are
> several instances that we would like to have start automatically when
> Windows starts up. According to the Oracle Administration Assistant for
> Windows NT, the instances that are supposed to start automatically have the
> following settings:
> * Startup Instance when Service is Started set to ON
> * Startup Type set to AUTOMATIC
> However, when I log into Windows I see that though the services pertaining
> to the instances in question have indeed started automatically, the
> instances are not OPEN. The ORADIM.LOG file is full of the following
> errors:
> ORA-12640: Authentication adapter initialization failed
> What should I check next to resolve this?
>
> I should mention that the database server is also a backup domain controller
> in our Windows 2000 based domain, so it has no local groups or users.

  1. Metalink
  2. Alert log
  3. Drop and recreate the Windows services with oradim

You do realize that 8.1.7 has now begun desupport from Oracle. I'd suggest you put some time into building the entire thing into multiple schemas in a single 10g database. Preferably with Linux.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington