Re: Synchronous backup of two instances

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2005 13:31:54 -0800

Peter Kallweit wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>
> How can I define the point in time?
> One possibility I see is the time (in steps of seconds(?)). But in
one
> second there can be many transactions. So I think, this option has
not
> the necessary granularity. Is this correct?

Correct, but not the only option. See the backup and restore manuals. You can recover until a specific system change number.

> Which other options do I have to bring all the databases to the same
> point in time?

Perhaps you don't want to, as there can be a delay in updating. You want to make consistent _transactions_, right? So the issue becomes, how to be sure a specific distributed transaction is recovered properly. The details become very site specific.

In other words, "it depends."

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.