Indexed Organized Tables

From: Florian <wizard_ozREMOVE_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:17:52 -0600

Hi,

We have table that holds a lot of data, usually around 5 million rows. The data in the table is log data, that is rows are constantly being added and every other month old records are purged.

Searches on this table are usually sorted by the time stamp, for example listing the most recent 100 records.

The table looks like this:

x_timestamp date,

loginfo1 int,
loginfo2 int,
loginfo3 int,
loginfo4 int,
loginfo5 int,
loginfo6 int,

logtext1 varchar2(32),
logtext2 varchar2(128)

We have this same table on MSSQL server where we are using a clustered index on the timestamp field, which really improves performance.

Now, we would like to do the same on Oracle, but are running into the primary key problem with the IOT.

Sometimes multiple records are written at the same time (same second), so it is impossible for us to create a primary key on the x_timestamp field, since we might loose records that.

Yet, we don't want to add any of the other fields to the timestamp since that doesn't seem to be logical. We tried it and the performance wasn't that great it seems.

Is there no way to create an indexed organized table without using a primary key??

Thanks ... Received on Mon Jan 10 2005 - 12:17:52 CST