Re: Sort area size

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:30:06 +0100

On 8 Jan 2005 12:31:02 -0800, "William Robertson" <william.robertson_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:

>SORT_AREA_SIZE is a pre-9i thing anyway. These days it is deprecated in
>favour of PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET.

As I understand from previous threads, if PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET is set, each session is allowed to use only up to 5 percent of this number. I can imagine setting this parameter databasewide for OLTP sessions, but for some batch sessions, where you need much more than this 5 percent, setting SORT_AREA_SIZE and the like to a high value, together with WORK_AREA_POLICY=MANUAL.

Jaap. Received on Sun Jan 09 2005 - 14:30:06 CST