Re: Transaction per minute

From: almost there <glenn_feiner_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Jan 2005 18:16:16 -0800

IANAL_VISTA wrote:
> soalvajavab1_at_yahoo.com wrote in
>
> > How do you measure the application / database transactions
throughput
> > and health check once you inhereit a DB from pprevious DBA? Do you
have
> > a check list for all you will do in the first weeks?
> >

> Start with determining the Buffer Cache Hit Ratio
> If it is too low, proceed to make it closer to 1.
>
> The maximum transaction throughput is a function of the application
> and the underlying hardware.
>
> If you have to ask this question, I wonder how qualified you are.

Who cares about Buffer Cache Hit Ratio. Run a few statpack reports to get a reference of how the system is runing. Talk to the business end users. See what they say is their biggest complaint is and start there working on what is most important to them. There's an excellent Oracle performane tuning book out there by Carl Milisap (not sure on spelling). Check that out - or take his class ;-) Of course, my first priority would be to review and test the back ups! Received on Sat Jan 08 2005 - 20:16:16 CST