Re: Thread Time Out (ORA-2049)

From: KK via OracleMonster.com <forum_at_OracleMonster.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:31:05 GMT

>>Which Transaction? No changes have been made in the case of row not
>>found, according to your description.

  No changes are made, i.e. no row is inserted in Table B, when no row is found in Table A. I have simplified the situation a little bit. Since there are other things going on in the process, we set the Transaction to roll back, if an exception is thrown in any part of the process.

>>Which indicates that the row is locked. 2 things have probably already
>>gone wrong here ;
>>1) Process (x) has locked the row in table A. Not necessary. It's a
>>simple read.
>>2)After having unnecessarily locked the row, process (x) does not
>>release the lock, though you state that (X) rolls back. Ensure that it
>>does release the lock, e.g. issu a "rollback" explicitly in your code.

And this is the puzzling piece. We are using 'committed read' for our locking policy, and moreover, the first transaction has already been rolled back. We explicitly issue a 'roll back' in our code. When we trace the functionality from the application level, the first process (A) has rolled back and completed before the next one comes in.