Re: Thread Time Out (ORA-2049)

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 6 Jan 2005 10:49:48 -0800

KK via OracleMonster.com wrote:
> We are facing a Time Out issue that has been puzzling us for the last
couple weeks now. Here is the situation -

> A process (X) reads a row from table A and if the row is found,
inserts a row in another Table B. If the row is not found, the process throws an exception. In case of exception, the process (X) rolls back the transaction.

> Another process (Y) comes in immediately after the process (X) and
reads the same row as process (X) and then inserts another row in the Table B. But, here is the puzzling thing. When the process (X) cannot read the row in table A and throws exception, the process (Y) times out while reading the row in table A.
> There is a a window of about 500 milliseconds after process (X)
finishes where any process that comes in and tries to read the same row from table A, times out.

> We are using entity beans to access the database and Websphere's
wsOptimisticUpdate to read/write to the tables. wsOptimisticUpdate is closely equivalent to a 'committed read'.

> We also checked the 'distributed_lock_timeout' parameter in Oracle
and it is set to the default - 60 seconds.

> We have explored many options, but haven't been able to figure out
what is going on. Any help would be really appreciated.

> --

My first thought is to trace the session and run the resulting trace files through tkprof. Another option would be to run statspack and see what, if any, anomalies pop up.
At that point you'll have a better idea of what you're running up against.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Jan 06 2005 - 12:49:48 CST