Re: Need help getting a grant

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Jan 2005 17:17:56 -0800

I managed to bite my tongue and not give the sarcastic answers. Ana's answer was a bit harsh, but probably justified as you didn't give any details to put the post in context. Still don't know where you are, this is a worldwide group, and it might make a difference!

Anyways, here comes the glare of truth:

  1. Google this group for discussions on this. In the classical Oracle DBA sense, it is declining, Larry Ellison famously said the job would go away. The reality is, it is simply transforming. Few DBA's are under 30. Older ones have often been pushed out in recent years, probably dot.bomb effects. Net effect is there is little market for new DBA's but a fair market for the experienced. I don't call myself a DBA, by the way, unless the customer wants it.
  2. Don't have time to go into this just now, but there is an older white paper on the quest.com site by Mike Ault that has some interesting points, some of which some people disagree with. Oops, maybe it's gone now. Probably he turned it into his book.
  3. google this group.
  4. See salary.com
  5. I don't.
  6. No.
  7. No. But I don't have problem with email, find my web page.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://slashdot.org/articles/05/01/05/0122241.shtml?tid=95&tid=136&tid=109&tid=154&tid=1