Re: Still looking for RAID answers

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:06:44 GMT

<bdurrettccci_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1104952703.087069.190780_at_c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> If you are doing a bunch of updating I would make one pair of drives
> seperate and put the redos on them. Make them really big since you
> have a whole drive for them.
>
> Then I would put the other drives that aren't hot spares into a raid 10
> array.
>
> For general random use it should be four times faster than having
> everything broken out randomly on pairs of mirrored drives.
>
> Now, if you have some special function where you put one huge table on
> a single pair of drives and do full table scans against it, that might
> make it worth breaking it out on its own drives. But, in general I
> would raid 10 everything but the redos.
>
> By the way, when I came to my current job their Sun boxes were just
> mirrored drives and they were honkin slow. Redoing them with striping
> sped them up a bunch. We also turned on direct io and dbwr io slaves.

Oh jeez, now I don't know what to do. Following the other replies to my request for help I had decided to set them all up as RAID 1 (individual mirrored drives). The databases supported by this system are all pretty much general use, no huge tables or other unusual considerations. I need to make the decision today, first thing tomorrow at the latest. Are you pretty sure that you got a performance gain simply swithching from mirrored to striped?