Re: Lost oracle passwords on 9i database on windows xp

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 4 Jan 2005 15:15:44 -0800

hpuxrac wrote:
> Thanks for addition tend to guess that this entry would be installed
by
> oracle by default for running an oracle database on a windows server.
> Don't know for sure and not worth time researching -- thankfully I
> don't have to work in such an environment.

There is nothing wrong with working in a Windows enviromnet with Oracle, except for those who have not done so (such musings are due to a lack of exposure to Oracle with Windows). I have worked with Oracle on UNIX, Linux, VMS and Windows and, with the exception of a few Windows idiosyncracies, I have not been disappointed. Yes, Windows allocates memory differently, and uses 'threads' instead of processes, but it is not the 'south 40 of Hell' many may believe it to be. And, yes, the sqlnet.ora is configured to use NTS authentication to emulate the default behaviour of UNIX/Linux systems since membership in the ORA_DBA group does not afford users the same carte blanche as the 'dba' group in UNIX/Linux.

Judging by your last comment, there are those working in the Windows environment who may well be thankful you don't work in that environment. Possibly one day you may find yourself 'saddled' with Oracle on Windows. I hope you then have the time and patience to 'research' such things.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Jan 04 2005 - 17:15:44 CST