Re: Oracle on ONE Processor of a DUAL Processor Server...

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:26:40 GMT

Mark Bole wrote:

> HARI OM wrote:
>

>> New Year Greetings to Everyone here!
>>
>> I have a IBM AIX box with a DUAL Processor. I want to install Oracle
>> 9.2 on it and was wondering if there is any way to install it such that
>> it uses ONLY ONE PROCESSOR rather then using BOTH PROCESSORS (without
>> disabling the other processor).
>>
>> We DO NOT want to DISABLE the other processor becos other programs are
>> using the Server for different (non-Oracle) purposes. We cannot afford
>> 2 License Of Oracle on this box.
>>
>> So I was wondering if we can install Oracle and make it use only ONE
>> PROCESSOR.... I know it sounds silly... but becos of crunch budget we
>> are trying to work on cost-cutting.....
>>
>> THANKS!
>>
>> HARI OM
>>

> As far as Oracle is concerned, you are out of luck.
>
> http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/partitioning.pdf
>
> "As a result, soft [CPU] partitioning is not permitted as a means to
> determine or limit the number of software licenses required for any
> given server."

Hmm, I may have spoken too soon, since AIX DLPAR does appear on Oracle's list of "hard" partitioning technologies. My previous experience in this regard was only with the Solaris "psradm" command, which does not appear to meet Oracle's definition.

You can always ask your sales rep, or pricinginquiry_at_oracle.com

-Mark Bole Received on Tue Jan 04 2005 - 16:26:40 CST