Re: SGA_MAX_SIZE

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:06:43 +0100

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:19:32 +0100, "zeb" <spam_at_nowhere.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>If I increase SGA_MAX_SIZE, and don't use it ( DB_CACHE_SIZE and others
>unchanged )
>Is this memory allocated by oracle, at startup, and not available for other
>processes ?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Oracle 9.2.0.5
>AIX 5.1

The SGA is allocated in virtual memory. This means if the memory is unused, it will be paged out, and consumed by other processes. It is not allocated at startup, unless you set pre_page_sga and/or lock_sga. Whether those parameters apply to your situation is O/S dependent.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA