Re: Oracle on ONE Processor of a DUAL Processor Server...

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:56:46 GMT

HARI OM wrote:
> New Year Greetings to Everyone here!
>
> I have a IBM AIX box with a DUAL Processor. I want to install Oracle
> 9.2 on it and was wondering if there is any way to install it such that
> it uses ONLY ONE PROCESSOR rather then using BOTH PROCESSORS (without
> disabling the other processor).
>
> We DO NOT want to DISABLE the other processor becos other programs are
> using the Server for different (non-Oracle) purposes. We cannot afford
> 2 License Of Oracle on this box.
>
> So I was wondering if we can install Oracle and make it use only ONE
> PROCESSOR.... I know it sounds silly... but becos of crunch budget we
> are trying to work on cost-cutting.....
>
> THANKS!
>
> HARI OM

As far as Oracle is concerned, you are out of luck.

http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/partitioning.pdf

"As a result, soft [CPU] partitioning is not permitted as a means to determine or limit the number of software licenses required for any given server."

-Mark Bole Received on Tue Jan 04 2005 - 15:56:46 CST