Re: Oracle and ODBC

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:35:39 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:03:06 +0000, xhoster wrote:

> Well, the idea is popular among non-Windows users, as well. I thought ODBC
> was supposed to be a standard, in which case why should I have to install a
> different client for each DB type? Other than for failover support, I see
> no fundamental reason to require different ODBC drivers on the client
> machines.
>
> Xho

Standard? Well, I guess it sorta kinda qualifies. It does provide a 'best effort which works with everyone'. Note that it's biggest proponent in the early days found some limitations and responded with JET, ADO and other database access variations.

However, ODBC really only provides an API. If you look at the chain as

client >> translator >> transport >> database

then ODBC acts as the front-end to the translator area. The transport is not defined, and for Oracle databases, the transport generally requires Oracle Networking.

lol/FGB Received on Tue Jan 04 2005 - 14:35:39 CST