Re: differences between Solaris and Windows in sqlplus connection specifiers?

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:12:31 GMT

"Randy Harris" <randy_at_SpamFree.com> wrote in message news:DrlCd.9530$_X7.7162_at_newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> "FC" <flavio_at_tin.it> wrote in message
> >
> > <tanel.poder_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Put the connection string between quotation marks.
> > > Otherwise, tell us which error message you get.
> > >
> > > Tanel.
> > >

> > Tanel,
> > I already tried that, it doesn't work in my case.
> > I tried with both single and double quotes around the descriptor, as
shown
> > in the Net Admin Guide, but, as I said, it works on windows clients, not
> on
> > solaris.
> >
> > I am getting ORA-12545, so I am wondering if this could be a dns
problem.
> > Tomorrow I'll try with a straight IP address.
> >
> > Do you happen to know if the same technique works inside the connector
> > string for db links?
> > I hadn't the time to try it out today, I'll do it tomorrow.
> >
> > Thanks and bye,
> > Flavio

> You got my curiosity up, so I tried it. Both 8i and 9i worked on Solaris
8.
> As Tanel suggested, the descriptor needed to be in quotes.

Well, actually the descriptor needs to be in quotes only if there are spaces inside the string, see the manual for some examples.

It turned out that it was a dns problem, I tried with the IP address of the host and it worked, which explains why I was getting mixed results depending on the client.

Bye,
Flavio Received on Tue Jan 04 2005 - 14:12:31 CST