Re: Creating database manually

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:07:10 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 06:45:29 -0800, Rauf Sarwar wrote:

> fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

>> Rauf Sarwar wrote:
>> > GreyBeard wrote:
>> > <snip>

> <snip>
>
> Although your points are valid, my post was in direct response to the
> above line. I am not suggesting never to use the DBCA, but if someone
> wants to learn it by typing the commands manually... then don't
> discourage them... it will help them in the long run. It would be
> better to use the DBCA to create the scripts and review them, as
> suggested by someone else upstream, rather then let the DBCA go all the
> way without having any clue what's happening in the background.
> Regards
> /Rauf

Rauf,

Suggest you take that question in context and not snip the next paragraph.

The first sentance of the next paragraph says "While there is nothing wrong with doing so, many who ask that question have a basic misunderstanding of Oracle."

As a result of the second paragraph, this should not have been interpreted as an attack or as a discouragement.

Since OP indicated problems accessing SQL, I concluded that OP was attempting to jump start into Oracle from other RDBMSs. In addition, the way to OP worded the question indicated possible lack of reading. That raised red flags.

So, I repeat - there is nothing wrong with creating databases manually, at least for learning purposes. (Or at least, there WAS nothing wrong, but with the changes in philosophy toward fundamentalism in 10g ...)

Or are you arguing against understanding the OPs motivation?

lol/FGB Received on Tue Jan 04 2005 - 09:07:10 CST