Re: Creating database manually

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:53:49 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 01:34:43 -0800, Rauf Sarwar wrote:

> GreyBeard wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> Why do you want to create the database manually?

> Why not? It's a good learning exercise to get intimate with Oracle. As
> a personal choice, I don't use DBCA and prefer to create a database
> using scripts.

As I said, there is nothing wrong with creating the database manually.

>> While there is nothing wrong with doing so, many who ask that

> question

>> have a basic misunderstanding of Oracle.
> Care to elaborate on this.

Go through the archives and check how many people want to 'create databases on the fly', 'create databases using program', etc.

When coming from other RDBMSs, some people assume they already understand what is meant by the term 'database'. Because of the difference in meaning of the term between Oracle and, say SQL Server, they feel they need to create databases manually to be able to create a lot of them.

In many cases, all they want is to create a schema on the fly.

lol/FGB Received on Tue Jan 04 2005 - 07:53:49 CST