Re: RBO to CBO

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Jan 2005 16:41:06 -0800

>I do like systems to be current, but I'm
>sure that upgrading every 18 months
>is too costly.

Funny, I recommend to my customers they upgrade more often then that (they tend to consider point patches upgrades), yet at home I use a couple of W98 machines, sometimes booting older linux... and trying to figure out if I should buy a new battery off ebay for that hand-me-down laptop... and keep intending to buy a new machine and never getting there. I'm my own best cost-control! But of course, if customers want me to use something newer, let them make the capital investment. I figure I've saved $3000 every 18 months for the last 20 years.

But I would like to run oracle and linux. Maybe I should spring for one of those $200 (in the newspaper) linspire specials... http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4199563?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG oh wait, I need more memory and a backup and raid and it's $3000 all of a sudden...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/30/60minutes/main664063.shtml