Re: RBO to CBO

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:31:54 -0800

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> Interesting approach. Have you tried approaching Oracle and insisting on a
> contract term like
>
> "Oracle agrees that the software is purchased for the purpose of enabling
> the following applications <list> and agrees to support the supplied
> software version (x.x) as long as it is supported by <application vendor>".
> ?

I haven't personally but I do know at least one very large aerospace company that has. It is all a question of leverage. Give me a big enough level and I can move a software company.

> There are plenty of other hungry RDBMS vendors out there after all, and most
> of them can do the job.

Exactly. The question is one of whether the threat is of large enough magnitude, in $, to motivate them to care.

 From my experience Oracle is less worried by DB2 and SQL Server than Siebel is worried about SAP. Look for the leverage and use it if you can.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington