Re: Creating database manually

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:45:59 -0500

DBCA will create some disk structures for you, on top of creating the database.
If you don't use it, you will have to create those directories (that contain the init.ora, trace files, alert log) yourself. If you don;t use standard locations another DBA logging on your system will have to check where you choose to put those files. Not hard but a loss of time. Also on OpenVMS (don't know for Unix) you have procedure files (you may call them scripts) that are created from sample files, in order to connect to the database (those are executed "forked" when a dedicated server process is started for the new connection). You can easily create those yourself if you know how (or modify them for troubleshooting purposes), but again that's time consuming when you have a tool that can do it for you.

Other than that, use the CREATE DATABASE command.

--
Syltrem

OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site, en français)