differences between Solaris and Windows in sqlplus connection specifiers?

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: 3 Jan 2005 02:58:12 -0800

Hello,
I was trying to connect to a remote database using SQLPlus without using a SID stored in the TNSNAMES.ora (I lack the privileges to modify it), so I was attempting to specify the whole connection descriptor as suggested in an old thread in this newsgroup.

It turned out that I successfully managed to connect to the remote database using a 8.1.7.0.0 windows client, but failed from a unix solaris server running 8.1.7.0.0 using exactly the same syntax as follows:

sqlplus
usr/pwd@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=server.company.com)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=mydb)))

I had to remove all spaces from the connect descriptor to succeed (on windows).

Is there an alternate syntax?
Is there any known problem with solaris?

Thanks,
Flavio Received on Mon Jan 03 2005 - 04:58:12 CST