Re: Restricting Database modifications via sqlplus

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 08:41:45 -0800

qazmlp wrote:

> We would like to allow only 'select' & 'desc' statements and to
> restrict 'insert'/'update'/'delete'/'drop' statements, via sqlplus
> prompt.
>
> But, if the 'insert'/'update'/'delete'/'drop' statements are issued
> from the application during the runtime, it should be allowed.
>
> Basically, we would like to prevent any Database modifications done by
> the users(via sqlplus prompt), on our test systems here.
>
> How exactly we can fulfill the above requirement?

Simple solution ... use Product User Profile which has been included with Oracle for ages.

Go to http://www.psoug.org
click on Morgan's Library
click on Product User Profiles

For those who find the library of value I have made a number of changes and added a lot of new material over the holiday. One of which is a demo of the undocumented package DBMS_EXTENDED_TTS_CHECKS. Not sure of what value it is but the challenge was enjoyable. One thing though: The demo for GET_TABLESPACE_TABSUBPART compiles, runs, but returns no result. If anyone can solve this riddle I would be grateful.

Happy New Year!

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington