Re: RBO to CBO

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:58:15 -0800

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:10:07 -0800, DA Morgan
> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>But given that Oracle doesn't charge for upgrades if you have a current
>>support contract what is the downside to running the upgrade script and
>>moving up with versions after they have been tested and shown to be
>>stable?

> The downside is you loose support of the third-party vendor, supplying
> the app.
> Many vendors still don't support 9i, or they force you to upgrade
> their app too.
> Losing support by the application vendor is usually considered to be a
> show stopper.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

With regret I must agree with you. Lately I have been advising clients, during negoatiations with software vendors, to insist that the following clause, or something like it, be added to the contract.

"<Vendor> agrees that they will always support their application on a version of Oracle's database under full support from Oracle Corporation."

Very few sales-types are capable of walking away from a six-figure+ sale that may well go their competition. And once they've signed ... the vendor is stuck providing the support. The truth is there is always another vendor, a bit hungrier, willing to meet the condition and they all know it.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington