Re: RBO to CBO

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:10:07 -0800

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:46:54 -0800, DA Morgan
> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>Mladen Gogala wrote:

>>>There are many people that only use features of Oracle9 that were
>>>available with Oracle 7. Many developers don't know about things
>>>like VARRAY, TABLE & CAST operators to access PL/SQL tables and there
>>>are even DBAs who have learned about query factoring very short time
>>>ago. The category of users implied by your comment is not very small.
>>
>>I think it is unfortunately the vast majority of developers and DBAs.
>>And when it comes to PL/SQL I rarely see anything that couldn't have
>>been written in Oracle 7. Cursor loops everywhere and not even a hint
>>they know what a BULK COLLECT or FORALL is.

> If you read the information provided by Microsoft on accessing Oracle,
> they simply don't support anything beyond Oracle 7. This also includes
> their Oracle Oledb provider. Surely the Oracle driver does support
> LOBs etc, the Microsoft driver doesn't.
>
> The vast majority of our sites doesn't need an upgrade to 9i, actually
> they even don't use Oracle 8(i). The two main reasons to upgrade are
> - changes in database architecture, making Oracle more manageable, at
> the same time reducing downtime (read: LMTs etc.)
> - running a supported database version.
>
> If Oracle wouldn't have such tight desupport police most of our sites
> wouldn't upgrade at all. Almost all of them still need to be upgraded
> to 9i.
>
> Happy New Year to everyone!
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

But given that Oracle doesn't charge for upgrades if you have a current support contract what is the downside to running the upgrade script and moving up with versions after they have been tested and shown to be stable?

I had a customer this year still running apps with Oracle 7 and a version of forms with a number so small I can't repeat it. Caused them nothing but misery when they were forced by Sarbanes-Oxley to audit system usage. What would have taken less than two minutes with Oracle 9i cost them many tens of thousands of dollars.

No doubt someone in Sri Lanka argued against a tsunami warning system as being too expensive. My point being that the price will always be paid. It is merely a question of when.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington