Re: Oracle 10g (ASM vs Veritas Clustered FS)

From: <Daniel_F_at_addamark.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:09:12 GMT

In comp.unix.solaris Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote:

> Disagree. I've worked with some sysadmins who were mostly clueless about
> Veritas VX/VM and VCS configurations they had inherited from external
> consultants, so I had to figure out the hard parts myself.

Well, we have incompetence on both sides. I have to concede that. The OP said his org doesn't even do RMAN. So if they're very nascent in their DBA skills they should lean more heavily on the SA's.

> The OP asked about Solaris, which I have worked with under favorable
> circumstances for many years, but it's interesting how most of the stuff
> I see from Oracle nowadays regarding storage management is focused on Linux:

I agree, they are trending towards Linux more and more. It'll be interesting to see if Solaris can make a dent with x86. I'd still like to see Veritas support linux more and am not 100% convinced that Veritas will "go away".

Databases are a huge part of the IT infrastructure but they aren't everything.

We use VCS and other Veritas solutions for a whole variety of services. If we went to 10g and did away with Oracle on VCS we'd probably lose 30% of the clusters.