Re: Oracle 10g (ASM vs Veritas Clustered FS)

From: <Daniel_F_at_addamark.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:32:06 GMT

In comp.databases.oracle.server DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

> There is a lot of value in ASM. Balancing i/o load when new volumes are
> added or volumes are removed being you should consider: Veritas can't
> touch it.

This wil more than likely be handled by the SAN. Are there some benchmarks demonstrating significant performance gains over Veritas Storage Foundation?

> But our DBAs should be using RMAN and if they are not management should
> consider finding some new DBAs.

Agreed. But I don't see the point of ASM. Veritas is very mature in this area. Most of Oracle's solutions are all volumes, not filesystems & most sysadmins cringe at the idea of raw volumes.

Is ASM still raw volumes? Isn't this why RMAN is the only option? Or can I actually run:

        mkfs -o largefiles -F ASM /dev/vx/rdsk/oradg/somevol

Oracle may as well OEM a copy of Storage Foundation and encourage development on Linux from Veritas since Linux seems to be big in their future.

The idea of DBA's doing OS related work (shrinking/expanding volumes etc..) is about as scary as sysadmins doing database architecture.

-Dan Received on Fri Dec 31 2004 - 16:32:06 CST