Re: Oracle and ODBC

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 30 Dec 2004 14:43:01 -0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
> > "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message

> >>Yes, you do. You need the full-blown Oracle client installation.
Whether
> >>you can get away with the 'lite' 10g client, I wouldn't know.
> >

> > assuming you mean the 'Instant Client' then yes you can. I would
imagine it
> > is exactly this sort of request that inspired the 'Instant Client'.
For some
> > reason it seems popular among windows users to imagine that they
can connect
> > to a database without client software.
>

> You mean, like, using nothing but their Web Browser??! Perish the
thought!

> :-)
>
> Regards
> HJR
Unfortunately I have been unable to get the instant client to work with any database version less than 10:

SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Thu Dec 30 16:33:08 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: nunya/darn_at_business
ERROR:
ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified

Enter user-name:

This from an Oracle 9iR2 instance. This may be due to the 10.1 SQL*Plus required for the instant client to function, it may not. All I know is I cannot connect to a 9i instance with the 10g instant client.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Dec 30 2004 - 16:43:01 CST