Re: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:55:04 +0100

On 30 Dec 2004 00:46:25 -0800, yls177_at_hotmail.com (yls177) wrote:

>SVRMGR> @alter_table_prod.sql
>ALTER TABLE MYTABLE_NAME
>*
>ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
>

>ALTER TABLE MYTABLE_NAME
>ADD (FIELD1 VARCHAR2(1),
>FIELD2 DATE,
>FIELD3 DATE,
>FIELD4 DATE,
>);
>
>i found out that i have 2 owners to MYTABLE_NAME. And i need to
>specify the owner as in MYOWNER.MYTABLE_NAME in my "alter statement"
>before it can work?
>
>Also, can i do this during operation hours which meant that others are
>accessing this table?

To the first question: yes
To the second question: if the table is in use by someone else, you will hit ora-0054 resource busy and acquire with nowait specified. You can retry later or perform the operation in your maintenance window. Directly altering tables in a production schema is of course a bad idea, and many sites uusually do this in a more controlled fashion.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA