Re: Oracle 10g (ASM vs Veritas Clustered FS)

From: <jeff_vosburg_at_aliases.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:27:55 GMT

In comp.databases.oracle.server Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

> I can't answer your actual question, because I'm not overly familiar
> with the Veritas option. But 'only using RAW' and 'depending entirely on
> RMAN for backups/restoress' don't strike me as major drawbacks. Quite
> the contrary. :-)

I'm not a DBA, just trying to help one out. We don't use rman much, and generally rely on cold backups. I know, everywhere else people seem to use RMAN, our DBA's are slow like that :)

As a sysadmin I'm not big on raw volumes but unfortunately our standards are pretty loose in this area.

> Bear in mind that ASM is a good deal more than 'friendly raw'. The data
> redundancy features alone are worth having in my book.

Yeah, from what I can see...ASM has a lot of nice features but everything we have goes on EMC DMX's and Veritas also offers similar solutions.

At least, from what I can see (hence my posting). Received on Wed Dec 29 2004 - 12:27:55 CST