Re: 2 Databases. 1 or 2 listeners??

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:09:16 +0100

On 28 Dec 2004 01:52:53 -0800, qazmlp1209_at_rediffmail.com (qazmlp) wrote:

>There are 2 databases(1 is for the lower layer modules and another one
>is for pure application layer) running on a Unix server.
>
>I am bit confused whether to have a single Oracle listener on this
>server or to have 2 different listeners, one for each database on the
>server. What exactly is highly recommended? Why?
>
>Could you explain the factors that I have to consider to decide about
>this?
>
>Thanks!

Typically there is no need at all for individual listeners for individual databases, unless you use products like Suncluster, which requires one tcp/ip port per instance.
After all, the listener is a *broker* only, and there simply is no persistent connection between client and listener, after the listener has forked a process.
apart from the port issue, the only other reason is the listener can't deal with the number of connections you need: ie you need too many processes forked. In that case you may also ask yourself whether you can't use connection pooling.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA