Backup and restore just one DBF or one user

From: Ujang M Zainudin <Ujang_mz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2004 18:46:19 -0800

Dear all,

How do i backup and restore just a single dbf datafile from an oracle 9i
database. Each user in the db has its own tablespace residing in its own
datafile. What I want to achive is, to backup each user separately and be
able to restore any particular user at any point in the future.

It is not a 24 by 7 database and shutting down the db during backup or restore
is not an issue. So it could be online backup or cold backup or exp/imp backup.

I am exploring the cold backup option right now and having problem restoring. It is not quite right yet and i am still struggling with it.

I am less familiar with exp and imp that my last attempt at restoring caused
double entry in most of my tables. Besides, it took too much time to import mainly due to my lack of experience in dealing with imp.

I am not familiar at all with RMAN, so i am not considering it.

Any advice or scripts that you could provide me is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ujang Received on Mon Dec 27 2004 - 20:46:19 CST